Why is Qtopia much faster?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:38:41 CEST 2008

2008/7/23 Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>:
> But what does "closed" mean?  It's been getting more and more open for
> years now.  Finally even QTopia is GPL... I think that's the last
> piece isn't it?  Is it because it already emerged fully-formed, and
> was not depending on community help for its very existence, that you
> think it's more closed?

Actually, that's true. A code drop is not equal to successful open
source project. Not mentioning qtopia exactly, but there are several
examples of "open source" which are even under OSI-approved license
that are nothing more than a source tarball - no community, no control
outside one entity etc.

It cannot be so hard to understand that not everyone wants to port
everything into one toolkit. It doesn't matter which toolkit that is.
Phones are becoming computers and do not need any less flexibility on
what can be done with them.

-Timo