Why is Qtopia much faster?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Wed Jul 23 10:23:12 CEST 2008

Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2008/7/23 Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>:
>> But what does "closed" mean?  It's been getting more and more open for
>> years now.  Finally even QTopia is GPL... I think that's the last
>> piece isn't it?  Is it because it already emerged fully-formed, and
>> was not depending on community help for its very existence, that you
>> think it's more closed?
>
> Actually, that's true. A code drop is not equal to successful open
> source project. Not mentioning qtopia exactly, but there are several
> examples of "open source" which are even under OSI-approved license
> that are nothing more than a source tarball - no community, no control
> outside one entity etc.

It still is open source, even if the development is not so open.

A lot of "open source" communities are not 'anyone has write access to
the source repository'. You have to prove yourself first. I think most
projects are like that. Heck I think openmoko wasn't developed in the
open in the beginning.

> It cannot be so hard to understand that not everyone wants to port
> everything into one toolkit. It doesn't matter which toolkit that is.
> Phones are becoming computers and do not need any less flexibility on
> what can be done with them.

How does sticking to one toolkit mean less flexibility? You can write
the same type of app in any language, its just a matter of how well your
toolkit works for you.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company