ANNOUNCE: Software equalizer for openmoko

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 23 18:53:30 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> That's pretty cool and short patch.  I always assumed that we need to
> lift the low end so much relative to high end to make a difference, that
> we would routinely clip even at medium volume levels.  Is it actually OK?

Thanks!  The gstreamer code is really clean; I thought it'd be a lot
more work.

I have a set of in-ear sound isolating headphones that are *really* loud
at default volume settings.

I figured I'd crank up the alsa volume, then lower the midrange and
treble bands.  With the test program it seems to do an adequate job
lowering the high frequencies, though I'll know for sure once I get
mediaplayer to use it.

I've noticed that it clips and pops pretty severely if I set the gain
positive on any of the equalizer channels, so it might be good to expose
it as a passive equalizer that only makes the signal quieter.