Terminal for ASU

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Jul 23 22:54:49 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:16:22PM +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> > IMO it's crazy for you (the senior developer to ASU? you're surely
> > the most active?) to have his hands tied by these shadowy "designers"
> > who can interfere apparently on a whim. Especially when they're
> > coming up with crazy decisions that are technically poor!!
>
> welcome to openmoko. i get paid to program. i am not a designer (as i have been
> told) and thus am not qualified to make decisions there (so i have been
> informed). i am paid to program. so that is what i will do.

If you've been mismanaged/micromanaged so badly that you've had to adopt what Neitzche called the "Sklavmoral"-- or  "I'm not paid to think, I'm only paid to wash the floors"-- attitude in order to survive, it doesn't bode well for OpenMoko.

In any case, you're doing great work, so "illigitimum non carborundum".  I can't tell you how delighted I was when I saw the "qwerty" button suddenly appear after doing an opkg upgrade! And the ability to choose different keyboard layouts from a pop-up menu was great. I thought to myself, "now THIS is a well-managed project, critical features that I need are being added without even asking for them, and the progress is daily!". And now of course it is gone.

Can someone please document what hack is necessary to add that button back in? And, yes, if anyone wants to please fork the necessary package, I will subscribe to that feed instead, because the ability to use an on-screen keyboard on a Linux phone is a must-have for me. The Illume keyboard with Full-QWERTY is excellent and I love it. I need to be able to launch it manually in order to use it with Minimo and openmoko-terminal2-- the two apps I purchased the phone to use.

If some more "elegant" method is designed later on, and works, I'll switch to it. But for now I need a working keyboard in the terminal, and web browser, and all the other apps.

I'm sure all this will get sorted out eventually, and rough going like this is normal in the early days, so no big deal.

-ken