Operation without battery (GTA02)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 23:54:59 CEST 2008

On 2008-07-23, Yorick Moko <yorickmoko at gmail.com> wrote:
> i can reproduce "2"
> but i won't do it again :)
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Alexey Feldgendler
> <alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:
> > I have two 100% reproducible issues with my GTA02.
> >
> > 1. When running with the battery in (charged enough) and a USB cable
> > plugged into a computer, removing the battery makes the phone die. It
> > seems to turn off several seconds after the battery is removed. If the
> > battery is replaced quickly enough, the phone doesn't turn off. While the
> > battery is disconnected, some things still run and some seem to stop; e.g.
> > the GPS chip stops sending NMEA sentences but continues doing so when the
> > battery is put back.
> >
> > 2. When the phone is off with no battery in it, plugging the USB cable
> > connected to a computer makes the phone emit a buzzing noise. The noise
> > continues until the cable is disconnected. The phone won't start up in
> > this state, not even in the NOR menu. I remember a similar issue in GTA01,
> > but GTA02 was supposed to work without a battery.
> >
> > Can anybody reproduce?
I also tried 2) and can confirm this. It sounds like it tries to power on,
but does not have enough power. I think it is not so strange, since the
charger cannot provide enough current. Remember that the PSU tries
to power on everything at once, so you basically get the spikes from
all the components at once.

I think this was mentioned before. IIRC, the problem is that it is not
possible to tell the PSU not to power on everything at the same time.