strange problem with Intenso 4GB SDHC card

Doug Jones dj6mf at frombob.to
Thu Jul 24 00:17:09 CEST 2008

Stefan Fröbe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a quick observation from my side that could possibly be related:
> Until yesterday, my 4GB SanDisk card worked fine with a recent (e.g.
> 2008-07-22 or 21) kernel - after an opkg upgrade this morning that got
> me a new kernel I was surprised to see the card not beeing recognized
> anymore - furthermore, its MBR was zeroed out, and no tool could read or
> reformat it except a SD-Card recovery tool by Panasonic ( sdfv2003.exe
> running only under Windows, of course ) !
>
> I now backup'ed the partition table and mbrs in hope to be able to dd it
> back, should this happen again. Sorry, but I haven't got any logs as I
> was busy recovering what was left, but I'll surly save them next time ...
>
> Stefan
>
> uname -a
> Linux om-gta02 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 23 06:34:19 CEST 2008 armv4tl
> unknown

Not sure if this is connected with what you are seeing, but...

Something similar has been happening with SD cards on the OLPC laptop
(another example of hardware specifically designed for the FOSS world)
for at least the last six months.  Last time I checked, there was still
no real fix.  Has been a major pain for people who want to multiboot  --
  forces them to use storage devices that don't fit inside the case.

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6532

I am getting the impression that interfacing to SD cards is hard.