Public build host (proposal)

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at
Thu Jul 24 07:27:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Marek Lindner <marek at> wrote:
> Hi,
>> since it seems to be extremely difficult to build software for the
>> OpenMoko on my home machine, perhaps it would be usefull if someone
>> (within OpenMoko?) would set up a globally reachable build host with
>> an openembedded and toolchain environment on it.
> could you describe what kind of problems you experience ? The only way to
> improve the situation is by naming the issues at hand.  :-)

I tried to tell you a few times, but I'll rephrase.

I have an iMac G5, rev C (with iSight built-in). That is a PowerPC64

- There is no native Mokomakefile support for this machine
- I tried running VirtualPC to emulate an i386 processor so that I
could install Ubuntu. This works, but is _terribly_ slow. Also,
getting Ubuntu 8 on it is something I didn't try. But, building
Mokomakefile took days to get to step 1500.
- I eventually found out how to install Debian etch on my PC
(natively), but running Mokomakefile's 'make build-devel-image' gave
me an error 'don't know what to do with powerpc64 architecture'.
- The toolchain explicitly states that it needs i386. I could build
from source, but openmokoui-2.0-dev is also only available for i386.

Well, that's about it :-) A simple Ubuntu- or Debian-machine 'out
there' on the Internet with up-to-date bild env and the poosibility to
scp files over would be ideal now :-)

I hope this sums up the problems well enough.

Christ van Willegen
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0