Why is Qtopia much faster?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 24 13:07:49 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:11:39 -0400 Yaroslav Halchenko
<site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com> babbled:

> recently. BUT to get such responsive UI sacrifices had been made, thus
> there is no X (I do not even want to touch GPL vs BSD/... issue here).

actually to be more on topic - sacrificing x11 does not make a ui more
responsive. you have a bad-responding ui in x11 if you simply design its nuts
and bolts operations in such a way to trigger the slowest paths for x11. if you
know your x11, you can make a perfectly responsive ui. you'd never know x11 was
even there. the problem is that there is a lot of mis-use of it, and i need to
defend x11 here as it is most certainly not the culprit. :) it's merely the
messenger (eg if you upload/download pixmaps all the time... guess what - you
are uploading and downloading data to/from video ram all the time, and this
comes with the attendant consequences brought forth by the hardware).