ASU Keyboard yet again

Jeff Tickle jtickle at
Thu Jul 24 17:39:21 CEST 2008

Hey all,

I just installed the ASU daily build from buildhost yesterday (23 Jul),
and there doesn't seem to be an on-screen keyboard.

I've been doing a lot of searching around to find out what's up with
the keyboard.  I know that it was added as a 'qwerty' button, and then
removed because the devs want it to automatically appear when there's
text to enter and automatically disappear appropriately.  I'd
personally prefer the manual mode, but I can understand why someone
would want this done automatically.

Problem for me is that the keyboard never automatically pops up.  I
know this isn't an isolated incident, as this bug report exists:

Of course there's a mention of using some ASU image from instead of, but I can't
find anything ASU-related after sometime in May on the downloads site.

I tried editing the
file /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/illume.edj and setting
'visible: 1' under the 'part { name: "kbdtext"' section, but that
caused the whole UI to be useless (looks like this file is some sort of
compiled binary, I couldn't find any information on it.)

So, in short: what is up with the keyboard?