ASU Keyboard yet again

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Thu Jul 24 18:18:52 CEST 2008

Jeff Tickle wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just installed the ASU daily build from buildhost yesterday (23 Jul),
> and there doesn't seem to be an on-screen keyboard.
>
> I've been doing a lot of searching around to find out what's up with
> the keyboard.  I know that it was added as a 'qwerty' button, and then
> removed because the devs want it to automatically appear when there's
> text to enter and automatically disappear appropriately.  I'd
> personally prefer the manual mode, but I can understand why someone
> would want this done automatically.
>
> Problem for me is that the keyboard never automatically pops up.  I
> know this isn't an isolated incident, as this bug report exists:
> http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1663
>
> Of course there's a mention of using some ASU image from
> downloads.openmoko.org instead of buildhost.openmoko.org, but I can't
> find anything ASU-related after sometime in May on the downloads site.

  I had the same issue, the problem is that buildhost isn't building ASU
packages from the ASU dev git tree (I'd guess because it's mostly aimed
at people running 2007.02). What you need to do is change your opkg
feeds to use http://downloads.openmoko.org/openmoko-repository/ASU/
which has all the new packages (including an updated version of qpe with
keyboard support enabled). You can download the correct config files from:

http://www.mikeasoft.com/~mike/opkg-asu.tar.gz

  Just move /etc/opkg to /etc/opkg-backup then unpack that to /etc,
then: opkg update && opkg upgrade && /etc/init.d/xserver-nodm restart

  The keyboard should now pop up automatically when text areas request it.

> I tried editing the
> file /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/illume.edj and setting
> 'visible: 1' under the 'part { name: "kbdtext"' section, but that
> caused the whole UI to be useless (looks like this file is some sort of
> compiled binary, I couldn't find any information on it.)
>
> So, in short: what is up with the keyboard?

  You can grab an illume theme with the qwerty button restored from:

http://www.mikeasoft.com/~mike/illume.edj

  Just drop that in to /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/ (note that
you'll need to overwrite it again each time illume-theme is updated though).

  Cheers,
   Mike.