ASU Keyboard yet again

Jacob Peterson jacobp at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 24 18:30:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Jeff Tickle <jtickle at tux.appstate.edu>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I just installed the ASU daily build from buildhost yesterday (23 Jul),
> and there doesn't seem to be an on-screen keyboard.
>
> I've been doing a lot of searching around to find out what's up with
> the keyboard.  I know that it was added as a 'qwerty' button, and then
> removed because the devs want it to automatically appear when there's
> text to enter and automatically disappear appropriately.  I'd
> personally prefer the manual mode, but I can understand why someone
> would want this done automatically.
>
> Problem for me is that the keyboard never automatically pops up.  I
> know this isn't an isolated incident, as this bug report exists:
> http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1663
>
> Of course there's a mention of using some ASU image from
> downloads.openmoko.org instead of buildhost.openmoko.org, but I can't
> find anything ASU-related after sometime in May on the downloads site.
>
> I tried editing the
> file /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/illume.edj and setting
> 'visible: 1' under the 'part { name: "kbdtext"' section, but that
> caused the whole UI to be useless (looks like this file is some sort of
> compiled binary, I couldn't find any information on it.)
>
> So, in short: what is up with the keyboard?
>
> -Jeff

In short I have come to understand that the decision was made to go with the
Qtopia keyboard over the Illume keyboard, but the Qtopia keyboard needs a
layer to auto-request it such as matchbox or multitap (which is not
installed by default) and with no manual button there is no easy way to
access it.  That is how I have come to understand it, please correct me if I
am wrong here.

-Jacob