ASU Keyboard yet again

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Thu Jul 24 18:46:29 CEST 2008

Jacob Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Jeff Tickle <jtickle at tux.appstate.edu
> <mailto:jtickle at tux.appstate.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hey all,
>
>     I just installed the ASU daily build from buildhost yesterday (23 Jul),
>     and there doesn't seem to be an on-screen keyboard.
>
>     I've been doing a lot of searching around to find out what's up with
>     the keyboard.  I know that it was added as a 'qwerty' button, and then
>     removed because the devs want it to automatically appear when there's
>     text to enter and automatically disappear appropriately.  I'd
>     personally prefer the manual mode, but I can understand why someone
>     would want this done automatically.
>
>     Problem for me is that the keyboard never automatically pops up.  I
>     know this isn't an isolated incident, as this bug report exists:
>     http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1663
>
>     Of course there's a mention of using some ASU image from
>     downloads.openmoko.org <http://downloads.openmoko.org> instead of
>     buildhost.openmoko.org <http://buildhost.openmoko.org>, but I can't
>     find anything ASU-related after sometime in May on the downloads site.
>
>     I tried editing the
>     file /usr/share/enlightenment/data/themes/illume.edj and setting
>     'visible: 1' under the 'part { name: "kbdtext"' section, but that
>     caused the whole UI to be useless (looks like this file is some sort of
>     compiled binary, I couldn't find any information on it.)
>
>     So, in short: what is up with the keyboard?
>
>     -Jeff

> In short I have come to understand that the decision was made to go with
> the Qtopia keyboard over the Illume keyboard, but the Qtopia keyboard
> needs a layer to auto-request it such as matchbox or multitap (which is
> not installed by default) and with no manual button there is no easy way
> to access it.  That is how I have come to understand it, please correct
> me if I am wrong here.

  Qtopia has a built in keyboard, but because you're using an old
version of qpe (see my previous mail on this topic) it's not enabled. If
you wished you could install the matchbox-keyboard or multitap instead
of using the qpe keyboard and these will pop-up when applications
request them.

  Cheers,
   Mike.