strange problem with Intenso 4GB SDHC card

Doug Jones dj6mf at frombob.to
Sat Jul 26 08:02:58 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

<snip>

> As I think this seems to be quite a good clue to what's really happening here,
> quote from the OLPC ticket #6532:

<snip>

Yes, anybody working on this issue really ought to read that ticket in
its entirety:

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6532

(keeping in mind that some of the earlier entries, from months ago, may
contain erroneous data)

Note that some people think that this problem may affect things other
than the SD card, and that external storage connected through USB might
have a problem too.

OLPC really really wants to do aggressive power management.  They want
to do things like halt the processor between keystrokes.  If they can't
do suspend and resume in < 100 msec, they may not ever be able to
deliver the holy grail:  a laptop that can run for ten minutes on the
power provided by one minute of muscle power from a four-year-old child.

If they can achieve this, then OpenMoko ought to be able to achieve such
aggressive power management too.  That's how you get really long battery
life.

It seems that reconciling the need for data integrity on flash drives
with the desire to achieve excellent power management is a hard problem.