NeoFreerunner and MacOSX?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Sat Jul 26 21:26:18 CEST 2008

>> Is there a difference in perfomance with connecting it with OSX
>> contra
>> connecting it with a Linux-dist?  Just curious.
>
> I find the osx usb driver to be quite flaky.  I think I have 10.4.  I
> regularly have to reboot my macbook now, where as I used to go months
> between reboots.

I'm using the AJZaurusUSB on Leopard (10.5.4) and I find that I have
to make *sure* that I manually administer the device in order for my
system to maintain stability - i.e., when I want to reboot the
Freerunner, or disconnect it from the USB cable, I must make sure that
1) Internet Sharing is off for the USB ethernet device of the
Freerunner, and 2) the network device is removed from the Net Pref
list, manually as well.

If I do not do both of these things before disconnecting the
Freerunner, I have to reboot my machine to use the Freerunner again -
either I don't get a network connection subsequently, or worse: my
system hangs hard.  If I do these things myself before disconnecting/
rebooting the Freerunner, then things go smoothly ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan