asu and handwriting recognition of qtopia

Jakob Steltner trurl at trurl.net
Sun Jul 27 18:52:45 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:37:56 +1000
Lorn Potter <lpotter at trolltech.com> wrote:

> arne anka wrote:
> > is the handwriting recognition of qtopia available in asu or is
> > there work going on to port it (or even use another handwriting
> > recognition)?
>
> For X, there is rosetta, but I am not sure any work has been done on
> it for a while
> http://handhelds.org/project/rosetta/

I've tried rosetta (on OM2007.2), but the training application needed
some modifications to run at all because the application would not
display itself properly (wrong assumptions about screen size).
Rosetta is at least promising when tweaked and used together with a good
word list.

What makes it unusable is that the automatic keyboard adds
to the screen space needed by rosetta and then there's simply not
enough screen left for the main application (e.g. SMS editor)
A workaround for this is to re-enable the keyboard toggle applet
in /etc/matchbox/session as described in the wiki. (I have the matchbox
keyboard running, but I guess it would be the same with multitap).

Some simple general keyboard input method management would be really
nice for OM. E.g. like an extended keyboard applet that shows and hides
keyboard apps associated with the chosen input method.