Opening the Cellwaves

Jeff Tickle jtickle at
Mon Jul 28 15:34:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:22:17 -0700
Doug Jones <dj6mf at> wrote:

> "...If we follow the second path, we'll fail at a fundamental
> mission, which is opening the infrastructure itself. To do that we
> need to create open phones that are damned good at being
> Net-generation radios and televisions, as well as recording and
> producing devices. We also need to work at making clear how much more
> business the carriers and phone makers will find in a world of
> generative devices, rather than locked-down ones — a world where
> anything is possible, rather than one where legacy monopolies get
> leveraged for the duration."

This is why I spent $400 on a Neo FreeRunner instead of $300 on an
iPhone. I value my freedom, and if I'm going to be locked down to a
carrier under a contract, I'm going to make sure I make maximum use of
what I can get under that contract.

A good friend of mine has the iPhone... he's into Free software but
just didn't want to deal with an unstable platform.  Every now and
then, I can do something cool on the Moko that he can't on the iPhone
because Apple has their SDK locked down so tight.  It's those moments
that I really realize it's worth it.

Also, there's no comparison between TangoGPS and the GPS software that
ships with the iPhone.  TangoGPS absolutely beats Apple's offering in
every possible way.

Jeff Tickle - 828-262-7123
Operations and Systems Analyst
Electronic Student Services