Ringtone Question

Hans L thehans at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:42:42 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:21 PM, reaper527 <evan at nantero.com> wrote:

> I was wondering how people have generated their ringtones for use with the
> openmoko. I have mp3's, which according to what i've read, aren't compatible
> to use as ringtones.
>
> i ended up clipping the mp3's to get the sections i want and exporting them
> as wav files using audacity on a windows machine. i then scp'ed the wav
> files over to the openmoko, at which point they wouldn't work as ringtones.
> the phone would just vibrate silently.
>
> upon further testing, the wav files didn't play in the media player either,
> yet they played just fine on my windows machine. are there any special
> settings i need to configure when i setup ringtones? (and yes, i did restart
> the x server after editing /etc/pulse/session)

I haven't tried it, but I would suggest loading the default openmoko
ringtone in audacity, and using exactly that format.  Also IIRC there
was a similar thread on the mailing list, where the point was made
that there is a size limit for ringtones, don't remember exactly <4mb
maybe.

Hopefully in the future openmoko ringtones will be able to support a
much wider variety of audio files.

Hans