Steven ** montgoss at
Tue Jul 29 04:14:55 CEST 2008

Do you have it set to "dim, then lock"?  In my experience, a suspend
kills sound out of the speaker.  Making a call seems to restore the
sound.  Others have found that rebooting (or just restarting X)
restores sound.  There's a thread on the support list about this.
Perhaps you're seeing the same thing.