[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Jul 29 08:24:52 CEST 2008

>> Jay, your negative posts on this ML do nothing but foster an
>> unpleasant atmosphere
> Actually I disagree a bit here. Jay is not trolling but just saying
> where he's trying to come from.

Thank you Kalle .. no, I'm not trolling, yes I am voicing a strong
opinion, yes I do think the Freerunner is a cool device to hack on, no
I don't have any plans to abandon my work, yes I would like it if
there was a little more spirited organization towards delivering a
*finished* system that targets users and which developers can stably
approach.

> I'm not saying that everybody should
> immideately agree with him, but this is one of the main points of
> having
> an open community. There NEEDS to be open criticism and discussion,
> it's
> not like there's only one truth.

Indeed.  Keep in mind people, the Freerunner is not the only open-
hardware project out there (Pandora, I've got my eyes on you, baby),
its just one that has a lot of hype going for it because of the
general interest (Apple) towards beefier cell phone computing .. how
many times have I looked at iPhone with hungry eyes, goodness ..

> Trying to silence and belittle people
> who see differently is exactly what should be avoided. Trolling is one
> thing, but I think Linus is a great example. Having strong oppinions
> and
> stating them can be good, even if I don't always agree, but they're
> never at least unfounded.

Linus is a champion.

;
--