Openmoko on Design

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 09:25:16 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 17:14 -0700, ian douglas wrote:

> And while Openmoko is working on their own framework, I have to agree
> with many other voices: knowing which platform to develop for, as a
> developer myself, is confusing.

This is exactly the point. Openmoko should be like Ubuntu: integrating
what is there and adding here and there a missing link.

Ubuntu wouldn't be there where it stands today if there would be an
"Ubuntu framework".

They are just making nice distributions and that is the key of their
success. There is no real difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and
Xubuntu. Gimp (GTK) will run on Kubuntu and Scribus (qt) on Ubuntu and
both do run on Xubuntu.

However, openmoko-messages will not run on "ASU".

The Framework idea is a Microsoft idea. Remember the days when you
couldn't even uninstall Internet Explorer? It was part of the
"framework".

The success of Linux is based on the freedom of choice. No frameworks
there.

Last not least: the phonekit of OM2007.2 is dbus based too and can
therefore be used with qt, etk or whatever else pleases you. This whole
argument that FSO allows "cross-toolkit" is stale.

Well, just lets go back over 99 walls...

Marcus