Ringtone Question

Chris Hogan hodginson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:27:20 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Hans L <thehans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:21 PM, reaper527 <evan at nantero.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering how people have generated their ringtones for use with the
>> openmoko. i ended up clipping mp3's and exporting them
>> as wav files using audacity on a windows machine. i then scp'ed the wav
>> files over to the openmoko, at which point they wouldn't work as ringtones.
>
> I haven't tried it, but I would suggest loading the default openmoko
> ringtone in audacity, and using exactly that format.

Audacity probably isn't the best app for doing this, as it doesn't
edit .wavs directly - they are imported into a 'project', then
exported again. When exported, the .wav's sample format/rate is
inherited from the project, not the original .wav file (unless it has
changed recently - been ages since I've used it!)

mhwaveedit in Linux would be a better choice for this... not sure
about Windows apps though, possibly wavosaur or wavepad?

Or sox, of course :-).

My Freerunner hasn't arrived yet; when it does I'll check this out, it
should be fairly easy to write a shell script which will convert any
sound into a ringtone. It would be nice if there was an app on the
phone itself to do it too...

Chris.