Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld

Kristian 'kriss' Mueller kriss at mput.de
Tue Jul 29 11:29:33 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 29.07.2008, 08:23 +0200 schrieb Marcus Bauer:
> > > The opposite is true. FSO forces you into ASU. It basically makes
> all
> > > work that has been put into OM2007.2 useless.
> > >
> > > Please stop telling these lies.
> >
> > Marcus, did I miss the irony here, or do you really believe this?
> [..]
> FSO is the brainchild of Dr. Michael Lauer, fresh from the university's
> ivory tower but lacking any industry experience. It is reinventing the
> wheel and drains lots of ressources that are needed elsewhere inside of
> Openmoko. It combines plenty of things out of which one is a new PIM API
> based on dbus. This idea alone is worth to be mentioned every day for a
> year on the dailyWTF website.

Well, this is an interesting point. I've had the same doubt with DBUS.
But event driven programming is exactly what is needed for a battery
driven device. IMHO

> It is not about GTK or qt or ETK. It is about getting a working platform
> out to users and developers. OM2007.2 was mostly there.

You are right.

But said that, there is nothing we can do about the decision taken now.
And it was taken rather now than even later, because the developers knew
they could do better.

> It reminds me to
> a joke:
>
>         Two fools try to escape from a lunatics hospital. There are 100
>         walls to climb over and so they start: 10, 20, 50, 90, 99. In
>         that moment says the one to the other: 'Lets go back and do the
>         last wall tomorrow'.

Nice analogy. But FSO is not going back - but pauses to build a bigger
ladder.

Even if the idea behind FSO is to build everything from scratch - we can
still take all we've got with 2007.2 and just use it in FSO until the
newer, better approach is usable. (which will be in 2 or 3 months - if I
read the roadmap right)

I wasn't reading this list for months, but I find it a pity that guys
like you where ignored when designing FSO. IMHO GTK and the
Openmoko-GTK-theme have to be usable in FSO - and there has to be
support for the older daemons until the new ones are usable and
implemented in all apps.

Greetings from Berlin
Kristian
--