Openmoko on Design

Chris Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:17:00 CEST 2008

2008/7/29 Marek Lindner <marek at openmoko.com>:

> Hi,
>
>> At the same time we heard comments from a key developer who indicated
>> that the decision was made above him by unnamed individuals with whom
>> the community has no obvious means of communication, and who apparently
>> don't even listen to the reasonable technical arguments of key
>> developers.
>
> Openmoko always avoided all kind of formal structures. Thus we don't have such
> a thing as "key" or "core" developer - "a" developer would be better.

But you do have a design team, according to Rasterman.

>> This also seemed to reveal something about the internals of
>> Openmoko that weren't expected: development decisions are not entirely
>> made by the developers, but instead they answer to some people who the
>> community cannot readily identify and who the community doesn't know how
>> to interact with or if they even can interact with these decision-makers.
>
> May be it revealed that Openmoko itself is diverse as well. That some
> developers have different opinions than others.

Out of curiosity, how many of these developers use an Openmoko phone
as their primary phone? Do these differences of opinion tend to fall
on the same boundaries?

Still, nobody has mentioned why the design team can't be contacted or
identified.

>> Openmoko has to trust those members of the community, who prove themselves
>> through actual contributions, to be worthy to give input on larger design
>> issues as well.
>
> You got the point !

Strange, I read this as "Openmoko has not been, but should in the
future, trust those members...."

I haven't been here long enough to determine which is the case. Maybe
the company hasn't, either.