[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Jul 29 16:52:48 CEST 2008

> I am no one to tell to you how to use your time, but I personally
> thing
> that continuing to use your time to repeat how many stupid things
> Openmoko do, and complaining how many fanboy there are, is not the
> best
> way to help this project. Then do you what do you think is better!

I don't think rabid fanboix'ism is going to help the situation.  There
*are* negatives to whats going on with OpenMoko; perhaps you don't see
them because you haven't been attempting to write applications for the
platform, as I have for a year now.

Certainly, unless there is pressure to address the faults in current
strategy which are making it /so/ /very/ /hard/ for 3rd-party
developers to ramp up to productivity in promoting, and using, the
OpenMoko platform, then it won't happen.  OpenMoko *need* to know that
there is dissatisfaction in the ranks with the way they are dealing
with these issues - I'm only one of about 15 people who have shared
the same views as me, and I'm vocal about it because *I care*;
sycophants and dilettantes are not going to make it easy for them to
see they are turning developers away, and making it difficult to get
behind the platform in a big way.

I do believe we can build a great product with OpenMoko.  I just want
to make sure that the OM community realises that there are issues at
hand which *must* be addressed if we want to make it as big as we all
desire.  Certainly the current fractious nature of the distribution,
the feature regression and creeping bugs are not making it easier.
Something must change.

> All this in my personal opinion!

Thanks for sharing it in a manner we are all entitled, since this is
an Open project.  And thank you to all those people who have shared
their opinions with me privately.  If any of you wish to continue to
voice an opinion about "Jay Vaughan" and how much time he is wasting,
please feel free to do so - privately, off-list.

;
--
Jay Vaughan