GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:13:15 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:46 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Dienstag 29 Juli 2008 15:28:56 schrieb rakshat hooja:
> > > Moreover the '800 pound gorilla' OM is developing its own
> > > gps software and I'm not spending my energy competing with it.
> > >
> > Not  to start a flame war but even I would like to know why Openmoko with
> > its scarce resources is developing its own gps software instead of
> > supporting something like Tango GPS that seems to be working so well?
>
> Dear Rakshat, please don't let yourself be fooled by polemics, I know it's
> hard to resist, but we should lean on to the facts.
>
> Fact is: Openmoko is NOT developing its own gps software

Dear Dr. Michael Lauer,

four hours ago (10:38 GMT) John Lee from Openmoko wrote:

  asu [is]: + diversity (gps app based on EFL)

And from the blog of OM employee Holger Freyter:

        "Certainly not the least application we are going to develop in
        our GForge is diversity. This application is combining GPS, [..]
        with OpenStreetmap to find your way[...]"

A quick search on Google tells that Wendy from Openmoko is writing test
reports about diversity / splinter.

If you look at:

http://projects.openmoko.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/?root=diversity

you will see that the last checkin was *four hours* (!) ago by an OM
employee.

Stating that "Openmoko is NOT developing its own gps software" is an
impertinent and blunt lie.

Dear Rakshat, please don't let yourself be fooled by lies, I know it's
hard to resist, but we should lean on to the facts.

Fact is: Openmoko IS developing its own gps software.