dream neo

Pritam, Ghanghas (IE10) Pritam.Ghanghas at Honeywell.com
Wed Jul 23 15:14:51 CEST 2008

Hi

My apologies to the community because last male sounded like I am
criticizing
It. I had no such intention. May be my poor communication skills. All I

Meant was my inability to to buy it right now even if I want to.
BTW today during tea break I tried to draw my perception of the new moko
with extension port. Its attached

reading the mailing lists and seeing so many people active is absolute
delight !!!!!!!

Thanks & Regards,
Pritam Ghanghas
-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org
[mailto:community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org] On Behalf Of Pritam,
Ghanghas (IE10)
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 12:50 PM
To: community at lists.openmoko.org
Subject: my neo

Hi

I have been tracking this project for almost an year now. But its still
not in shape where I can buy it. Two things that I absolutely need are:

Good SMS subsystem
EDGE support

Without these I wont be able to use this as my primary phone. I would
have loved to buy it but seriously my personal budget doesn't allow me
to have this as a secondary phone. I currently own a motorokr E6 just
for the love of Linux but the problem with moto people are they don't
release anything
Ezx sources - no sign and kernel they keep on postponing.

My dream neo is:
OMAP3530
    http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html
    I see lot of benefits from this shift
       Camera interface
       Two USB one of them OTG
       On chip 2D/3D accelerator -- I didn't get much info about glamo
3362 still TI looks better
       Host of other goodies that you can look in the page
       And I don't see drivers to be a very big problem, seems like we
will get another community working              simultaneously
http://beagleboard.org/ and TI is in mood of cooperating in this
venture.
Camera - atleast 2mp -- A camera which can support addon lenses and
filter (as suggested by someone in wiki wishlist) will be awesome
Bigger screen 3.5 or 4"
EDGE please if not 3G
USB 2.0 OTG that will automatically come with OMAP3530
A smaller stylus - this stylus is good but not for every one please
provide support in the casing for a smaller stylus  as well
Rectangular casing -- the lower portion I think can be easily flattened
and upper portion can also be done with some effort though. May be a
recess in PCB for GPS antenna than putting it on top of it
3.5mm jack -- my current phone has one
Better battery may be some 2000 or 2300mAh will be cool even if it makes
it a little fatter. A device like this must have good battery backup
The kind of framework the project is going towards I would like more RAM
may be 512MB LPDDR
Last thing I want is expansion option(this one also is there in wiki
wishlist). My idea is to use a ne connector that internally uses USB.
The device can be given to the consumer with a dummy module fitted that
just gives the mini-usb
 But possibilities are limitless
   -- removable camera -- user may buy the type of camera he wants from
several modules
   -- extra SD card stack
   -- may be extra battery
   -- special purpose radios
   -- mini projector
   -- projection keyboard
   -- HDD
   -- finger print scanner
   -- smartcard reader
   -- Wi-Max or any other future tech
   -- I won't mind if somebody puts a extra processor in removable
module :-) (forget the last one)

And one more thing I browsed the wiki but couldn't find info about the
status and code of SMS subsystem. I would like to contribut in that. Not
the python one, Standard C/C++ one. I don't know python :-(

Thanks & Regards,
Pritam Ghanghas