WIKI still a POS

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Tue Jul 29 18:12:05 CEST 2008

Okay -- I see your perspective and I agree but I think people are
calling it "a phone" because that's a convenient handle. For my 10
minute test yesterday it worked just like a phone. I dialed, it
connected. It rang, I answered. Another 10 minutes and I'd probably
know how to answer on the first try! I might even get my own SIM now.

Sharp learning curves are always bad even for geeks.

I have a pile of GPS devices that need pretty extensive documentation.
For day to day use I get by but if I put one in a box for a couple
months I have to have the docs to refresh my memory.

Garmin has a new touch screen device now. The UI on my eTrex Vista is
well-thought out and implemented especially as a follow-on to having
already learned on their earlier eMap. I can usually figure things out
without docs. I wonder how they did on the new one.

Topic topic??? -- oh right -- the Wiki -- one of these days I will try
to work more on the Wiki.
I have several of my own and I know how rambling and disconnected they
can become.

My 2 cents is -- OM should work hard to try to make the text search
feature work better (then tell me how they did it). I have used
MediaWiki for several years and its built-in text search sucks.
Finding an alternative (SwishE or whatever) would be a big step in the
right direction but organizing the data is also vital (and quite
difficult).

If I figure out the magic Mediawiki search silver bullet first then I
will share it with OM.

Brian