GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Jul 29 20:06:22 CEST 2008

> @Marcus -  My main job is to sell the Neo ( I work for a
> distributor) and tangoGPS is the application that impresses my
> clients (and me) the most (even though we hardly have OSM data for
> India!). I would love to see it continue to be developed. (Offline
> maps is something that people have asked me about also. If you have
> some suggestions about making that possible using OSM data and I am
> sure you will find a lot of community support to make that happen)

It is very interesting to hear of your travails in India .. here in
Austria, the map data is available for the most part, and what I have
done with TangoGPS is navigate all over the areas I need, while
connected to the Internet, and 'soaked the cache' as much as
possible.  This is a very rewarding experience, somehow, especially
with daily updates to my datasets (trace tiles!) .. and it can be used
in offline mode pretty well, if you give it space.

So I hope you come up with good data for India.  I always wanted to
have a map of the entire world available in my pocket, so maybe we get
closer and closer to that .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan