[openmoko-announce] Openmoko on Design

Michele Renda michele.renda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:00:33 CEST 2008

Cristopher, let me to understand why you are so in angry.

Like you I sent my 350 Eur postcard (= 2 month of my house rent) for a
phone that I was knowing was not software complete (and some possible
hardware bug).

OM wrote very well on the homepage that is not a end user product. They
wrote very well. I bought my phone knowing that it will show me "things
we human can't neither to image (and not in the good sense)"

I think we was knowing very well what it mean.

Then OM give it the possibility to follow from the alpha version the
next software framework. It is like the first version of KDE4: all was
knowing that was a realy big revolution, and it need time.

Then now we can choose: we can use the 2007 gtk version or the new
version. Is our freedom. Why we must to be in angry if we have the choose?

Some people worked and bring us the possibility to install Debian + XFCE
(I was not beliving to my eyes). If you want the GTK version use and
maintain it.

Openmoko never said that will do that will make impossible to install
the gtk version. If you use it, and you maintain it, it will become
better and will take the place of ASU.

But please, is not the situation to complain if you install the aplha
version and it is not running stable.

You must to take Openmoko as a piece of "free" hardware. Install then
what you want, and be happy.

About Jay, I apologize if I attached personally it, but he was attaching
a lot of person of this ML, and it was not too much nice.

Now I wish you a very nice day, and happy programming ( or experimenting).

PS. If you want to enjoy with programming, try to see something about
python and pygtk. It gave me some satisfactions with only a few of hours
of work. May be it can be surprice you.

Regards
Michele Renda