Openmoko on Design

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 02:47:29 CEST 2008

Many thanks for the direct answers. This is what I've been hoping for. I'll
snip most of it to keep the length reasonable.

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, William Lai wrote:
> No bad intentions for snipping,
> Just trying to get to the facts:
>
> Brian C wrote:
Snipped
> > 3) If the design department is operating from a design document, has it
> > been made public?  If so, where?  If not, why not?
>
> Design doc uploaded (sometime in April)
> http://people.openmoko.org/ninjutsu/freerunner1.4.swf
>
> Posted by Ian Darwin in May
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-May/017504.htm

Just in case anyone wonders why it comes back not found, typo corrected
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-May/017504.html

> Feature Plan tracking
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/ASU_Feature_Plan
>
> Bug Tracking:
> https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/milestone/ASU
>
> You get the point.

I think so. There's some documentation but nothing particularly detailed, and
details weren't set in stone as of Ian's post in May when the keyboard toggle
existed. It has been public, but perhaps not widely known about, for quite
some time. Comments in the bug tracker reference a discussion on the
openmoko-devel list which I assume to be one of these:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openmoko-devel%40lists.openmoko.org/msg02263.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/openmoko-devel%40lists.openmoko.org/msg01542.html

Big chunk of snippage...

> > If so, will such
> > community members also have a voice in underlying design decisions that
> > guide that/those framework(s)?
>
> It already is.
> We've offered a couple of different solutions to community requests that
> were declined by, well, engineering.  One of them was:
>
> * create a package to be installed through installer adding manual
> qwerty button to illume theme.

The only suggestion I remember was that the community fork illume. Is this a
different take on the same suggestion, or a different suggestion? What was
the other option? And what was the objection to providing it as a
configuration option with the default being off, as proposed on this list?