Trolltech/Nokia and QTopia on FR [...]

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Wed Jul 30 10:31:57 CEST 2008

Aaron Sowry wrote:
> [...]
>> all the work with the Nokia acquisition planning. When you include my
>> usual travelling to free software events, there has been no time left to
>> cover more bases.
>>

>>> It is just interesting ;-) also it would
>>> be great if you could summarize in few words (if you feel like it) what
>>> are the future directions you and your team are going to accomplish for
>>> qtopia on FR? would be there a 'long term support' of any kind for
>>> qtopia on FR?
>>>
>> Trolltech will further develop, improve and enhance Qtopia. When it comes
>> to Freerunner, they are in charge for their plans and actions regarding
>> software development.  Of course there are cooperation with Trolltech
>> engineering, community and some marketing activeties. And we are working
>> on improvements there too.
>>
>> Personally I'm a fan of the Freerunner effort. When I got the opportunity,
>> I've sponsored travels and accommodations for persons who present what
>> can be done with Freerunner and Open Source on phones. Ole Tange was one
>> of the speakers[1] at Open Nordic Mobile in June. He did a really good
>> presentation of the Freerunner project and opportunities with free
>> software on phones.
>>
>> 1. http://conference.ez.no/eng/Open-Nordic-Conference-2008/Program
>>
>> We have shown the prover of Qtopia with Neo 1973 since Open Source in
>> Mobile September 2007. We also got a demo called Qt Everywhere with a
>> touch screen program launcher using PictureFlow[2]. We are running that
>> on Neo at all our trade shows and some of the free software events:
>>
>> 2. http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/PictureFlow?content=75348
>>
>> Several people are working on the program for Mobile Developer Days 2008
>> (MDD) in Berlin 10-14 September (the conference will be from Sept 10-12,
>> the weekend Sept 12-14 will be a code camp). Last year a couple of
>> OpenEmbedded/Freerunner developers participated at MDD in Denmark. We
>> hope that more can join this year in Berlin. I know more people will join
>> from Nokia this year.
>>
>> 3.
>> http://mobiledevices.kom.aau.dk/team_and_organization/events/mobile_developer_days_2008/
>>
>> This was maybe not a short answer, but it shows that we are committed and
>> really pleased with the progress of Freerunner and the use of Qtopia. The
>> question now is when and how to organise our round table trip to
>> Australia :)
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Knut Yrvin
>>
> I very much appreciate the work Trolltech/Nokia have put in to the
> Qtopia release and the support which they have shown for the Freerunner
> project and open-source mobile in general - thank you, I always enjoy
> reading your posts on the mailing lists.
>
> I have a couple of questions - I read somewhere on the Openmoko wiki
> that (to paraphrase) "enough of the Qtopia release is open-source that
> you can run it on the Freerunner without the proprietary components".

Qtopia is 99.8% completely open source. Only some proprietary DRM
components are not available. But who wants DRM anyway?

> know Qt has gradually migrated to open licenses over the course of
> history,

It was not really gradual at all. Qt has been GPL'd since Qt 2.2.

> but what is the current licensing status of the Freerunner
> Qtopia release?

GPL.

> How much is open-source and how much is proprietary?

Qtopia on the Neo is completely GPL.

> And
> if I can finish with a horribly vague question, how much of the
> open-source component of Qtopia is contributed back to the Openmoko
> project in a usable fashion (i.e. do the open-source components rely on
> a proprietary component

None whatsoever.

> [or Qtopia-specific feature such as writing
> directly to framebuffer] to work and therefore are only open-source in
> the context of Qtopia development, or are they totally portable to
> ASU/FSO with little or no modification?)

Yes.

:)

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company