GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Tilman Baumann tilman at
Wed Jul 30 16:03:28 CEST 2008

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at> wrote:
>> So I hope you come up with good data for India.  I always wanted to
>> have a map of the entire world available in my pocket, so maybe we get
>> closer and closer to that .. ;)
> planet.osm.bz2 is 4.2 gigs now, but that's why there are 8 gig microSD
> cards I guess.  :-)  Of course being unindexed XML you don't have time
> to parse and render that much data.

That can easyle be compressed to much smaller size for mapping/routing
The osm xml format is very redundant and verbose. I would call it a
export format not a usable data format for embedded apps.