So what should I learn and develop for?

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Thu Jul 31 01:38:21 CEST 2008

As a newcomer to the Openmoko scene, I've started to notice that there are a
lot of different firmwares out there, some from Openmoko and some from other
places.

I'm a C programmer by trade with almost a decade of commercial experience,
mostly in server/backend stuff. I want to start looking at Openmoko and the
FreeRunner but  I'm now not sure which frameworks, firmwares and library
sets I ought to be looking at.

What's the "stable" openmoko distribution?
Should I start working against Qtopia as it's got a wider device base and
(probably) a larger community?

I must admit I like the idea of making debian workable, but from the
distributions page that looks like it has a long way to go before I'd get a
workable phone out of it.

What's the state of play guys?