Question about future devices (GTA03,04)

Sergey Volkov sgvolk at
Tue Jun 3 00:44:17 CEST 2008

Hello, openmoko community.

I have a question regarding future products of Openmoko. Wiki says that GTA03 is actually HXD8, a car
navigation system. This claim is based on a post by Michael Lauer,

But IMHO that inference is not obvious:

Martin Bernreuther writes:
> looking at the Wiki, there're also speculations about another Neo-like device:
> This seems not to correspond to the GTA04. (Maybe  HXD8==GTA03?)
> Is there a more complete roadmap about the "Neo-Productline" somewhere?

And Michael Lauer replies:
> > device:
> This cat is long out of the box. It's the Dash Express device.

For me the actual question of GTA03 vs. GTA04 remains unanswered.

Also, Michael Lauer recently posted
following on the openmoko-kernel list:

> I don't want to talk too much about future products, but I would vote against
> going away from NAND for 03 -- there's too many business risks. 03 is about
> evolution. 04 is revolution.

This makes the issue completely unclear, esp. GTA03 part. AFAIK (my
opinion stems from
the discussion which took place in May on the hardware list) GTA04 is
a brand new
device based on a more advanced SoC. But it's very hard to find any info on 03.

Could anybody unveil the GTA03 mystery? What are the hardware specs, will the
shared-slow-videoRAM-bus issue be fixed (for me it's the main reason
to wait for the
next device)?

Any comments from openmoko employees are especially welcome ! (:

PS don't kick me too hard, it's my first post to this list (;