Question about future devices (GTA03,04)

Sergey Volkov sgvolk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:44:17 CEST 2008

Hello, openmoko community.

I have a question regarding future products of Openmoko. Wiki says
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA that GTA03 is actually HXD8, a car
navigation system. This claim is based on a post by Michael Lauer,
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-May/017061.html.

But IMHO that inference is not obvious:

Martin Bernreuther writes:
> looking at the Wiki, there're also speculations about another Neo-like device:
> 	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/HXD8
> This seems not to correspond to the GTA04. (Maybe  HXD8==GTA03?)
> Is there a more complete roadmap about the "Neo-Productline" somewhere?

And Michael Lauer replies:
> > device: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/HXD8
> This cat is long out of the box. It's the Dash Express device.

For me the actual question of GTA03 vs. GTA04 remains unanswered.

Also, Michael Lauer recently posted
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2008-June/003020.html
following on the openmoko-kernel list:

> I don't want to talk too much about future products, but I would vote against
> going away from NAND for 03 -- there's too many business risks. 03 is about
> evolution. 04 is revolution.

This makes the issue completely unclear, esp. GTA03 part. AFAIK (my
opinion stems from
the discussion which took place in May on the hardware list) GTA04 is
a brand new
device based on a more advanced SoC. But it's very hard to find any info on 03.

Could anybody unveil the GTA03 mystery? What are the hardware specs, will the
shared-slow-videoRAM-bus issue be fixed (for me it's the main reason
to wait for the
next device)?

Any comments from openmoko employees are especially welcome ! (:

PS don't kick me too hard, it's my first post to this list (;