Yummy new CPU/GPU combo

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Tue Jun 3 16:36:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Kevin Dean <kevin at foreverdean.info> wrote:

> With Nouveau, wouldn't it give a future device video performance that
> equals or surpasses the current XGlamo?

 Well, taking the fact that softwarerendering on a 266 MHz arm9 device is
faster than the current XGlamo - yeah, it shouldn't be that hard. :)
The problem will be, that neither noveau, nor nv will support this gpu.
There are some other mobile/embedded graphic chips from nvidia out there,
but none has to do anything with the desktop chips.
Another point is, that it will probably be extremely hard to write an
FOSS-driver for this and even more, that nvidia might not even release a
binary one for Linux. They target WinCE - only (at least for the moment).
I'm pretty sure nobody who likes Openmoko would like such hardware.

And for those who think android will bring hardware support for new devices
to the FOSS-world: forget about it.
Google doesn't care about open source if it's not used to save costs. They
didn't even release their own from-scratch-software as opensource - hell,
they use _wine_ to run it under linux.
Android isn't about freedom. It's about saving license fees, nothing else
(and they did some effort to make it as easy as possible for closed source
and vendors).