Yummy new CPU/GPU combo

Steven Kurylo sk at infinitepigeons.org
Tue Jun 3 22:15:05 CEST 2008

> Google does contribute to various open source projects, but they sure as
> hell don't seem to drink the punch.
>
> Thanks for the info, that completely defines my view of Android.

The kernel still uses the GPL, so they have to respect that.  However
the new hardware drivers could be done the same way nvidia does it.

They said their custom software will all use the apache license.  So a
phone carrier could take the software stack, close the source, and add
their custom bits on top leaving you with a system thats just as
closed as the current phones.  It will be interesting to see what
happens.

> And they use WINE to run android dev stuff on linux?  My god - that
> beggars the imagination.

I think he's talking about other applications.  I think picasa uses wine.