Packaging third-party applications (Was: Meta Toolchain Release (2008 May))

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 06:52:13 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> wrote:

> I thought the Openmoko developer community would want to better than that
>>

> Whats missing IMHO is a "Repository Leadership" clique, wherein a known
> group of people are responsible for some nice repositories that end-users
> might find interesting .. If I could easily add a few sites to my
> Freerunner, I would.  And I'd watch them for regular updates too.
>
> For example, I'm considering firing up an Openmoko repository - known and
> public - for music apps for the OpenMoko suite ..

But why do you want to promote these separate channels and avenues for
obtaining software?  Wouldn't it be better to include these music apps in a
main repository?  In Fedora, the multitude of repositories for downloading
packages has caused nightmares of "dependency hell" when users install from
two or more repos that carry some of the same package.

The most user-friendly solution is one location that holds all the apps a
user could want, one place for them to look, one place to maintain.
Branching repositories should be avoided as much as possible.

Submitting packages to OE is like contributing upstream.  It makes the most
out of your contribution.

--
Type faster. Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org