OT: ajax image galleries

Paul Bonser misterpib at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:50:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Chris Wright <dhasenan at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/3 "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" <mail at 3v1n0.net>:
>> There are some pics and videos by Einstein from freeyourphone.de:
>>  - http://tinyurl.com/66ktzl
>
> (URL maps to http://freeyourphone.de/portal_v1/gallery/menu.php?gallery=members&album_id=8
> )
>
> Those AJAX image widgets seem to be designed adversarially. They
> prevent tabbed browsing of images, make it difficult to link to an
> image, impose additional delays on the viewer, and introduce a new UI
> for navigating the galleries that doesn't fit in with any existing
> browser. Viewing a large image and then a small one requires
> additional scrolling, unlike any non-ajax solutions I've seen. The one
> that that link goes to allows you to click on the right half of the
> image to go to the next image or the left half of the image to go to
> the previous, with no visual clues that that is what is happening.
>
> Do they have any recognizable merit whatsoever? Why do people use them?

That particular one seems to be broken a bit (the next/previous images
aren't there).

I think the main perceived merit is that they are pretty, and that you
don't have to load an entire new page just to look at a single image.

Tabbed browsing isn't completely broken in the one linked to above. If
you right-click you can select "open link in new tab". Holding down
CTRL and clicking the link doesn't work, though. It's good to know
that it will still work for browsers with no JS.

--
Paul Bonser
http://blog.paulbonser.com