QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Jun 6 09:09:55 CEST 2008

IMHO, reducing any Openmoko device to QVGA will be the end of the
Openmoko project. And I have business reasons to wish that OM
survives...

There are plenty of QVGA designs out there and I even have an offer
and a sample of a Linux smartphone at half the price of the OM. It
works, has 90g, Quadband, and an integrated stylus. But QVGA. This
makes the difference.

I have shown a QVGA Acer n30 and the VGA Neo on FOSDEM and LinuxTag to
the public. Everybody considered the VGA as better although the Acer
is approx. 30% faster (because it has less rendering to do).

So, where would be the uniqueness of OM devices? The average mass
market customer doesn't care about full openness.

Please consider basic rules of marketing. And, consider purchasing a
Device Feature Roadmap from Strategy Analytics (they are really good)
and ask what the percentage prediction for VGA vs. QVGA is for 2009.
They are good in predictions because they look into the roadmaps of
the component manufacturers.

http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=NavigationHeader&a0=42

Tracking 30+ enabling technologies in the mobile devices market and
provides analytical views on the major issues likely to drive or
hinder diffusion of these technologies into the global wireless
devices markets. The WDS service was first to market with a quarterly
camera phone analysis and market share, and has extended that
leadership position on technologies including WLAN, digital TV, CMOS
and CCD cameras, Operating Systems and software, removable storage
media, GPS, and other wireless connectivity technologies like Zigbee,
NFC, and USB.
Device Feature Roadmaps and evolution across key global markets.
Research in this area includes analysis of feature phone evolution
with forecasts by device type; device vendor share by device type;
device segmentation analysis by ASP tier, with forecasts; extended
analysis of ultra-low handset diffusion drivers and forecasts; and in-
depth analysis of key device types, i.e. TV enabled handsets and MP3/
music enabled devices.

http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=ReportAbstractViewer&a0=3736
http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=ReportAbstractViewer&a0=3899

Nikolaus