QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 06:18:25 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Steven Kurylo <sk at infinitepigeons.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
> <raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:06:16 +0300 Flyin_bbb8 <flyin.bbb8 at gmail.com> babbled:
>>
>> actually - no. most linux developers and users i know need contacts/glasses and
>> they can never read my screen and complain about my fonts being so small all
>> the time (not that i will ever change. i love my small fonts!), but i ma going
>> off anecdotal evidence over many years of me being one of a very small minority
>> who can read and use such a high dpi with small fonts. i am bemused by so many
>> vocal people here claiming to me what seems to be the reverse of my experience
>> over many years - as well as going directly against actual product specs - eg,
>> iphone dpi is very much lower than the neo, but a large margin, but users rave
>> how nice it is.
>>

> Without being able to see them side by side I'm always going to want
> the higher spec.
>
> I have my blackberry 7130g set to the smallest font size available and
> wish it could go smaller.  I think the screen is 240 x 260, 2.4".
> However most other people have trouble reading my bb, so I'm willing
> to say I'm in the minority.

I'm pretty surprised the QVGA idea's getting any traction.  It's 2008.
 The GTA02 can be a little old-fashioned in exchange for it being
open, but the smartphone software market is opening up, and people
will become more willing to exchange some less openness for better
hardware.

The Freerunner I'll buy, but only due to current desires for a new toy
to hack with.  Its successors will need to be some advanced hardware
-- freedom's only good on a platform that stays worthwhile.

Frankly, I don't think too many people on this list are terribly price
sensitive -- we're putting up with a lot of variability in shipping
dates, hundreds of $$ for a phone whose software stacks will barely be
operational at launch, and the lack of the sort of live support you'd
get out of a decent phone shop.  Put together a new hardware platform
after this, and charge us for it!  The novelty of openness is only
worth so much by itself.

This is all in the most sincere support of OM, but what kind of friend
would I be if I didn't tell you the whole truth?

--
H. Lally Singh
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer Science