Yummy new CPU/GPU combo

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sun Jun 8 14:21:53 CEST 2008

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:15:09 -0700 Dave O'Connor <doc at skynet.ie> babbled:

> Thanks for the response and don't take this the wrong way but it doesn't
> really answer my question. :)
>
> Openmoko could take these sweet spec components and do stuff with them.
> That would lead to increased sales for these component manufacturers.
> It's in their interest to make them, and hopefully therefore the specs,
> available to you. 1) Why don't they make the components available to
> anyone other than the manufacturers for phones meant for the japanese
> market, even those who wouldn't care about open specs?

actually all we are is a pain for them. we are such low volume - negotiating a
sales contract is not even worth their time. not to mention their sourcing and
component selection is proprietary information to those manufacturers and they
aren't about to give that info to us (a competitor).

unless we are being their phones wholesale - much like an oem, i don't see
anything really happening.