QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Chris Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 19:00:47 CEST 2008

2008/6/9 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> 2008/6/9 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at openmoko.org>:
>> an 80x24 terminal is possible to make it readable @ qvga - if we allow
>> scrolling. (and possible in landscape with an ultra-tiny 4-pixel wide font -
>> possible (3 pixels for text, 1 for space). not very nice though.
>
> That is unusable. I'm sorry, I will not force myself to use that. I
> will buy something else. Using the terminal on a remote machine with a
> 4 pixels font is possibile like it is possible to eat cockroaches for
> lunch everyday. There are some 'can get by' that I will not force
> myself to get by with.

The same with having to flip between right/left panes: it turns a
half-second operation into a five-second one, and it taxes the brain
at the same time.

Moreover, this has to fit a keyboard along with anything else. The
keyboard itself has very minimal needs in terms of resolution, but it
steals about a third of the screen in portrait mode, more in landscape
-- 640x480 is probably a bare minimum. You'd be getting 200 by 240
usable space with qvga.