resolution preferences??

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Tue Jun 10 09:40:57 CEST 2008

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:51:58 +0000 (UTC) elektrolott <l0815 at fantasymail.de>
> babbled:
>
>> The only reason for me considering the Freerunner is the VGA display. I don't
>> car much about videos on portable devices, but I want a sharp large screen
>> for navigation (maps), browsing (www), reading/composing (email).
>>
>> If people want video devices they can get plenty devices out there, but there
>> is no device available with the display specs of the Freerunner. Keep it that
>> way!

Indeed.

Carsten, you said you want a technical reason to stick with VGA, which you think is
overkill, but the overwhelming response here on the list, like this message, is that VGA
resolution is a must.

I think it's more important to make what your customers want, instead of what is
'sufficient', and almost all of your customers want VGA.

Smooth animations and 30 fps fullscreen is nice-to-have for me, but not essential. For
me, super sharp maps and fonts are a big selling point, together with the openness.

For future devices, I'd rather see a better SoC that can drive VGA than downgrading to QVGA

> lots of devices out there with the same specs - or much better. 800x480 @3.2"
> or even 2.8" are out there and selling. on shelves - from major manufacturers.

Irrelevant, they're not open.

grtz,
Sander