Click Feedback?

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Tue Jun 10 15:13:00 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

we have been shipping pulseaudio (which is quite a CPU hog on embedded
systems) on our rootfs for quite a while now. The main reason not to use alsa
directly was because of mixing, since alsa dmix absolutely does not cut it.

However just recently I ponder whether I should remove pulseaudio for the time
being. I have been mainly using it to create a click sound (touch feedback),
since ring tone et. al playback goes over gstreamer anyways.

So... how important is that click sound to you? Would you miss it? Personally,
I love it, since the device kind of vibrates (because it's low enough) hence
I immediately know that the touch has been recognized, even if the UI takes a
bit. However, I know lot of other people hate it.

If we were to get rid of it, we could ditch pulseaudio and go directly to
alsa. This means no longer being able to mix sounds, but rather stick them
into a queue and play them sequentially.

Opinions?

:M: