QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 00:04:31 CEST 2008

On 6/10/08, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:10:22 +0200 "Flemming Richter Mikkelsen"
> <quatrox at gmail.com> babbled:
>
> > On 6/9/08, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at openmoko.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > an 80x24 terminal is possible to make it readable @ qvga - if we allow
> > > scrolling. (and possible in landscape with an ultra-tiny 4-pixel wide font -
> > > possible (3 pixels for text, 1 for space). not very nice though.
> >
> > How can u separate @, #, $, S, %, æ, ø, o, etc,  when only using 3 pixels?
> > 5 pix + 1 pix space is a minimum for good reading, unless some chars
> > take more space than others.
>
> you make little shapeless blobs of the chars :) you can tell the difference
> (though it's a terminal - if you start going into intl. chars like æ etc. imho
> you are exiting the vt100 world - you could argue that you can't read 魚 in a
> 3 pixel (+ 1 space) font either... so i draw the line at basic ascii for a
> terminal.

Well, 'æ' can be converted to 'ae' :)

> nb - your chars just become tall (3x7). eg:
>
> %
>
> #
>  #
>  #
> #
>  #

>  ##
> #
>  #
>  #
> ##

>  ##
> ##
>  ##
> ##
>
> $
>  #
>  ##
> ##
>  #
>  ##
> ##
>  #
> @
>  ##
> # #
> ###
> ###
> ###
> #
>  ##
> #
> # #
> # #
> ###
> # #
> ###
> # #
> # #
>

>  #
> # #
> # #
>  #

Thanks:)

I tried to zoom this down (font size 4) and it was not that bad. But I
think this needs a little "getting used to".

Anyway, I am not against QVGA as long as this can increase the
battery time and decrease the phone size over time (to something
no bigger than a credit card:).

So everyone has their own idea of how it should be. This is good,
but not every wishes can come true. But please have a look at
the neonode [1]. It runs windows mobile. It is terrible as it suffers
with a lot of bugs, but looks cool on the video.
It has a 2,0" LCD @ 176x220 pixels.

[1] http://www.neonode.com/en-us/products/n2/introduction/watch-the-video/