Free Runner price vs iphone 3G price - Things clear

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Jun 11 04:00:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:16:40 +0000 "Jorge ." <sphairos at hotmail.com> babbled:

> Robert Taylor wrote:
> > On the new Iphones, you HAVETO get a 2 year contract.
> > If you decide to quit you will pay a fee that will total up greater than
> > the $600 the phone is worth.
>
> The first iPhone was released june 29/2007 and the first hacked that allow
> you to use it with any operator was announced on july 9/2007. It will happen
> again and unlocked iPhones 3G will be available, it does not matter if the
> first bunch are stolen, second hand or refurbished, it short time everyone
> will be able to buy an iPhone 3G without contract for almost the same price
> than it contract. Then we will be able to compare unsubsidized iphones with
> moko. until that moment lets end the flame :-) but if I am right the iPhone
> will be cheaper even unsubsidized. (although i would buy a moko anyway)

not so simple. i think he business plan is changing because before this
happened with the 1st iphone. people could buy without contract. it was assumed
that the phone lock would force people to get a contract anyway and apple bore
the risk by losing out on their cut of the carrier's revenue (at&t). so they
sold it at $399 or $499 etc. and din't get any money from at&t after that.

now it changes with the 3g iphone. you must sign up when you buy. sure - you
can now take that phone, unlock it, re-sell it, but you are stuck with a
contract you must keep paying for... with no phone to use on that contract
unless you buy another phone - outright. there will be contract termination
clauses if you want to cancel then and this will help cover the subsidy - of
not completely cover it and then some.

sure - some (a very few) phones will somehow be smuggled from the factory or
from shipments before they get to an apple or at&t or other carrier store, and
some may be sold "under the counter" without contract - but i guarantee that
that likely is a business losing proposition for anyone as they get a rebate
once they sign you on a contract. selling without a contract will mean hey have
to jack up the price to cover the lost rebate money.

as such - legal, legitimate and easy to get 3g iphones WITHOUT contract are
going to be much more than $199.