QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03 (was something about yummy CPU-GPU combos!)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:27:24 CEST 2008

2008/6/11 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at openmoko.org>:
>> > if the vocal group here are to be accounted for going to these screens
>> > would be utterly bad and we should accept nothing less than vga so wvga
>> > (800x480) is the only way up into the future.
>> >

>> So you argue to put a lesser screen on the device now, so that you can
>> have a lesser upgrade in the future? That is not the type of company
>> that I want to deal with. Give us what is possible now, now.
>
> i didn't say that. you have to remember not everything is possible. we make
> compromises all the time. but you are saving that the only options we have for
> you to be happy is vga or higher. no matter what. even if we make a smaller
> phone?

No, I am not saying VGA or nothing. But you post looked to me like you
are worried about how to upgrade in the future, and that upgrading
would be easier for the manufacturer if the current hardware is less.
If that is not what you are saying, then you can disregard my
misunderstanding :)

>> > ouch. poor cpu.
>> >

>> Other than price, what are the constraints about using a more powerful
>> CPU? And what is the price hit? If we are talking about having four
>> times the screen resolution for an additional 30% of the price of the
>> device, then I say that is worth it. The target market for this phone
>> will buy it almost regardless of price. That is not to say that price
>> is not important (it is) but it should be more flexible than the
>> hardware.
>
> right now - constraints vary from soc's we can actually buy in volume to being
> open (eg nvidia have an soc... do we want that along with the closed graphics
> system?), to just development time. a new soc means a whole lot of kernel work
> and driver work normally - unless we stick to the kernel provided by the
> vendor, and that means you have a kernel behind many versions. we want to bring
> things to market as soon as we can. i'd love to see us improve our soc, but
> that just takes time and development. that's no promises one way or another or
> indications on whats going on - it's just where things are right now. :)

I see. Thanks. I appreciate that the development of these devices is
much more complicated than it looks from here. Which is why I ask.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.