GTA03 speculation [UNOFFICIAL]

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:35:19 CEST 2008

I am the one who predicted GTA03 in December 2008
here's my reasoning for targeting that date.

as an aside, I think December is the
LATEST date GTA03 will see the light of day.
With the modest changes being made in GTA03,
it would almost be irrelevant if delayed past then.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GTA03 is a fairly small re-spin of GTA02.
They are not doing anything very risky.

The biggest change is a new GSM radio that
supports EDGE, which is much faster
than GPRS that GTA02 has.

second, the Glamo graphics chip added to GTA02
(not in GTA01) was a disaster, pure and simple.
so it will be ripped out.

third, the headset connector will change to 3.5 mm.
I suspect but can not prove that there will also
be improvements and cleanup in the audio circuitry.

they are adding a camera to GTA03, which is a good thing.

the case design will evidently be changed significantly.

OpenMoko are NOT doing major surgery vs GTA02,
such as switching to a new processor

CONCLUSION
for someone who is anxious to ~develop~ on Freerunner
GTA02 is THE model to buy, because time is of
the essence.

for someone who has a reasonable alternative,
and will mainly be a Freeruner USER
rather than developer, it may or may not
make sense to wait for GTA03.

I have ZERO repeat NO (!!)inside information,
so I may well be totally WRONG.

Ron K. Jeffries
http://www.retaggr.com/Card/RonKJeffries