Why not use forum?

Hugo Mills hugo-om at carfax.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 19:38:09 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:30:39PM +0000, Leonti Bielski wrote:
> Hi!
> I was wondering - why are we not using forum for community?
> It's much  better to view, you can subscribe and unsubscribe to the
> topics you want and etc.
> The main
> Personally I don't like mailing list because it's not that comfortable
> and I can see no advatages of using mailing list instead of forum?
> Can anyone explain to me why we can't install

   I can see no advantages of using a forum instead of a mailing
list.

   Forums are, in my opinion, a far *worse* system for tracking
multiple topics and threads of conversation than mailing lists. With a
mailing list, I can trivially search the whole archive, rearrange all
the posts by pretty much any criterion I choose to pick, read only new
posts without having to search for them, and I get far better and
clearer threading support in my mail client than in any forum I've
ever seen. I also don't have to wait while my web browser loads the
page to see the next post (or thread, or whatever).

   I've never managed to maintain any interest or engagement in a
project where the primary interaction with the project is via forums.
It's just too much hard work to make it worthwhile for me.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
       --- There's many a slip 'twixt wicket-keeper and gully. ---