Why not use forum?

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 23:33:37 CEST 2008

>> Hi!
>> I was wondering - why are we not using forum for community?
>> It's much  better to view, you can subscribe and unsubscribe to the
>> topics you want and etc.
>>

> For me, mailing list is much better to view, filter, read off-line,
> quick download etc. etc. For admins, mailing list is much easier to
> maintain (no buggy, crappy phpBB, etc.).

I wouldn't say mailing lists are entirely bug free - witness the
duplicate messages I regularly delete out of my openmoko folder on a
regular basis.

for me some advantages of forums:

- far easier to set up and use, no filters and etc.
- far less distracting, with no emails coming in every 5 secs for every
topic.
- don't have to download 1 million emails onto all my machines that I
use thunderbird on.

+1 for forums from me.

or, why not usenet??   what's wrong with newsgroups?  I don't understand
why people prefer mailing lists to newsgroups.

Ben B.